Sunday, September 11, 2005

september 11th

1991
it's an unusual experience when a family day of remembrance
becomes a national day of memorial.
i woke up this morning and thought of you immediately
which is odd, because over the years your presence in my thoughts has
become quiet.

14 years later
i find myself only older, not much wiser
i drink my tea and stare into the unseen distance often just like you taught me
occasionally i remember our arguments on matters of taste and aesthetics. is it too late to tell you that i find i agree with you on many things? and that fact is unsettling?
i must say i still try to outdo you. i still try to outlive you, though you're quite dead.

once, you were a good man.

you loved poetry, and laughed more when it rained.

i learned more about life on long car rides to tent meetings than anyone has taught me since. i would look out the window while we passed miles and miles of grass and leaves and rocks and small towns and listen to the seamless harmonies saturating the air of our car by your favorite barbershop quartet, being recounted by your 8-track. endlessly winding and unwinding the lace of my sunday best around my finger, i would listen and often interject as you and mom would debate whether i'd be a soprano or an alto.

you taught me long division one night as we drove to Baskin Robbins, where i was still astounded they could have 31 flavors of anything. i remember thinking that i should get you to teach me algebra before you died... you were a much better teacher than my school system could afford.

the first computer i ever owned was inheirited... a texas instruments beast of a thing, with a 7 inch monochrome monitor. as my memory of you faded, i would spend hours willing my mind to recall the instructions you gave me to turn it on. i could never remember, but i got it on. my mother gave it away two years later without asking. don't worry, i did eventually forgive her.

i suppose my need for absolute fairness and my opportunistic nature are qualities you passed to me as well. i find that the harder i'm pushed down, the more fervently i bounced back.

i think you would have bounced back eventually.

my son asks me all the time where you went, and why you had to die. he doesn't understand words like "cancer", but he understands that you went far away, to a place we can't fly an airplane to, and you're not coming back. he tells me he loves me more often now. i think he's afraid i'll leave. but i told him that you had most likely convinced god to put in a golf course and an ice cream shop. i'm sure you spend quite a bit of time traveling faster than light... how many stars have you counted? i think we got up to 53 once, before i fell asleep. when you carried me in and put me to bed i remember thinking that i was lucky i had a strong father, or i would have to wake up and walk to bed myself.

words, words, words.

in the beginning, God created heaven and earth. out of nothing. and he saw that it was good,
and called it good, and so it was good.

i can still see you, in my mind. in my mind i still only come up to your waist, and i have to walk really really really fast to keep up with you, though the fact that my pace makes me slightly out of breath does not slow down my speech. 'audra, take a break from questions and just listen," you say. "you'd be surprised at how much you can learn by listening."

i am still surprised.

here's to the good times. 14 years is long enough penance to pay, in the purgatory in my mind. from here on out, you're Grandpa Almond. and you're far away, and it will be a long time before i see you. or maybe not. but i tell my son i love him as often as i can, just in case.

i've decided that i'm going to remember you from my favorite times. like watching the kite you made me, probably the most carefully engineered kite in the neighborhood, plummet gracefully to earth time and time again. we got it in the air for a good 15 seconds while you ran down the street.

carefully sculpting the nose and ears on our very first snowman, and then listening to mom gripe at us while we warmed our hands as it's much easier to sculpt a snowman without mittens.

lying in the grass for an hour, trying to ignore the ants, as you kept promising me that if we waited just a bit longer the leaf would catch fire. it did.

grilled cheese sandwiches with grape jelly, learning to read with 1 kings, watching bad sci-fi that i always claimed to hate but didn't really, because it was one thing we had in common.

caramel popcorn.

repeatedly questioning you about common sense. "it's common sense because it's common, audra. everyone knows it."

"well, i don't, so it must not be that common."

you told such horrible jokes. but your eyes crinkled when you laughed, and though i always rolled my eyes i would laugh too. and once you got sick, and stopped telling bad jokes, i learned as many as a could. you never laughed. but you would look at me and occasionally smile.

i still save you the orange popsicles. until i remember that i don't need to. but then i have a whole bunch of orange popsicles, and no one else in the house likes them, so they're all mine.

words.
i hope they mean something.

5 comments:

Sageish said...

Audra - that is the most beautiful thing you've ever written. I don't know what kind of net connection they have up there, but I know your dad got the message.

You're such an incredible person. Everything about you I find fantastic. I know your dad is so proud of you - we share that in common too.

Bex5x5 said...

I love you Audra Almond Harvey.

Moo_Cow said...

Yeah so I saw the title of this post in my RSS feed list for a few days now and knew I wasn't ready for what ever it held...

I thought today maybe I was. I think I was wrong. Now the screen is all blurry from the tears that are still flowing and sadness, joy, and Love are all washing over me with force.

Audra, I've heard you speak a little about your father over the years, some good, some bad, but this man I've never heard you speak of... This is a man that forgiveness and healing have given back to you and I must saw that I'm sorry that I'm not able to know him now. I think we might have had a thing or two we could have talked about! I’ll add him to my list of things that I truly look forward to…

You're an amazing person Audra. As problematic as your family was and is it's these memories and times that have truly formed you into the beautiful person, great mother, and “just what Justin needs” wife you are today. These are the times that left the lasting marks and shaped how you are… All the other shit is just hardened wax that’s already melting away. You’ve grown up and changed a lot in these short years that I’ve known you and I’m very proud of you! Thanks for sharing who you are with your friends and being an open book to the ones that love you. It sets a huge example for others and reminds me of many things I’ve set aside or have been hurt away for too long…

I love you my dear friend!

{I think my eyes are broken, do they have eye plumbers?}

audi said...

wow. that's all i can really say.

thanks for being family, to all of you who have stuck with me all these years and still think I'm tolerable.

Rebekah Hampton... i forgot your middle name. i think it's Marie. but somehow it's not clicking. aren't you glad we aren't 11 anymore?

Ben, you're really eloquent when you try to be. you're actually quite good at writing, and you're an excellent friend. thanks for putting up with my ramblings... i must say that your comment made me suspect that something is wrong with my eyes as well. could be that i need to change my contacts. or not:)

Bex5x5 said...

BTW...yes, my middle name is Marie...yes, I'm quite glad we're not 11 anymore (although, I really wish we had known each other better back then. I think we could have made all of the crap in junior high and high school and youth group a lot better for each other)...and I too had some major eyeball leakage while reading not only your post, but all the comments on here as well. I'm glad I have family here.