Thursday, July 28, 2005

b

a
small
thing.

such a small thing, really.

it was like this... i was sitting and watching the world go by through
the window, while i savored my steaming hot cup of ginger spice
i saw you walking down the sidewalk, cares in hand, ready to be tossed
away and i noticed you notice me
but only for a second
and then you glanced away.

i thought that day, maybe things had changed
maybe i was different, while you were still the same but then
i realized you hadn't even slowed your pace when you saw me
and then i realized you only saw your own reflection on the window.
at least you aren't vain.

i think when i die i'm going to be reborn as a firefly
its name doesn't need to be known, just a flicker in the night
sky and yet how many smiles have been made by a firefly's dance?
a chance at romance and yet it all slides past me when the current
changes and the tide leaves. here i'm standing on dry ground, aching
and cracking under the beating sun and yet, i can give it no water.

or maybe the time will be only remembered, and not reborn. maybe
you'll find me deep among the pages of those who made changes and were
then relegated to the monotonous list you're quizzed on in high school. on the way
out the door to your next period of time and then you find yourself
wobbling a bit, as i did, and unsure of your step or direction. but a chance encounter
with someone who lives on wishes and dreams with a side of bacon for breakfast, and
you're on your way.

or maybe i can really change the world. maybe my enrichment teacher
was not so amiss when she looked me in the eye and said, "you can do it, you know." if only
she knew how big i would make it. can it truly begin?

or will i fade?
at least i'll enjoy the shade in the dim shadows of memory
or maybe i'll just
go. more pleasant that way, i think, with no illusions of achievement
or lust after true fulfillment but i know my nature and that would never be.
so here i sit, thirsty.
can you make it rain?

4 comments:

Sageish said...

seriously - wow -

Andrew said...

Damn, girl...

HangingUpsideDown said...

audi, I hope among the many things you will do, that in my lifetime I will have your book of poems beside my cup of tea.

audi said...

:)

i might know a place where you can get some tea...